Knowledge and Experience:
- They must possess practical estimating or engineering experience, specific knowledge of estimating techniques, and ability to interpret cost data and systems.
- Knowledge and understanding of a variety of manufacturing/sheet metal fabrication processes and components and ability to evaluate and analyse associated costs.
- Ideally experienced in the use of spreadsheets, estimating pricing models and cost management tools.
- Some previous experience of cost estimating, ideally in sheet metal fabrication industry.
Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- It is also important that applicants for the estimation engineer role have proficient skills with Microsoft office applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- ERP Knowledge will be added advantage.
Communication and interpersonal skills:
- Good communication skills with the ability to form and maintain good relationships internally and externally.
- Good interpersonal, negotiation and influencing skills.
- It is important for estimation engineers to analyze preliminary data, historical data, technical data to determine the scope of work and project estimate. It is important that they have exceptional analytical skills to utilize every piece of information they need and arrive at valid estimates for a product.
- Highly numerate with the ability to research, assemble manage and manipulate numerical information.
- Knowledge of estimating techniques.
- Revisit costing after completion of development activity.
- Revisit costing in case any changes in drawings or customer requirement.
- Strong technical mindset and able to read and interpret technical data.
- Knowledge of reading drawings.
- Knowledge of preparing costing from bill of materials.
- Detailed knowledge of industry processes (Cutting, bending, welding, machining, painting, powder coating & plating), materials, and costs are vital to estimators.
- Work with design team to ensure estimates are accurate as per available inputs and to make appropriate adjustments with respect to changes.
- Work with purchase team for pricing of outsource materials.
- Work with sales & marketing teams to prepare estimates and bids for clients.